Thursday, January 10, 2013

Tacos de Pescado aka Fish Tacos

One thing ya'all should know about me is that I am a recent vegetarian converted to a "pascatarian". Fancy word, eh? Pascatarian is one who eats fish but no meat. Converting myself was with the intention of not starving when I travel or go out to eat at other people's choice restaurants where there might not be anything vegetarian (apart from salad of course; but salad is not my idea of a complete meal).


Now, I love Mexican food. I have never been to Mexico..the closest I have ever been to Mexico is Texas, so may be I really like Tex Mex (?)..To be found out when I eat real Mexican food. Till then Taco is my favorite because you can literally make tacos of anything..ANYTHING!


Last night I had some flounder and "whole grain" tortillas in my fridge and voila! here's taco dinner!!

My fu fu fish tacos
You see that big chunk of Avocado goodness in the picture..smooth, buttery and fresh. No avocado and cilantro equals no taco..nada...at least not in my kitchen! If you think otherwise, please feel free to share your thoughts.

So, after I already imagined myself eating a taco, I realized that neither did I have black beans nor did I have salsa nor did I have time to make salsa and make it sit overnight because I had to have tacos because I had already made up my taste buds (not mind..taste buds rule everything when it comes to food). What I did was I cooked some garlic, onion, tomatoes and corn and coarse grounded them to make my own taco sauce. It turned out to be super super yummy..improvisation works people...and that's how it looked.



Here's how you do it.

This will make 4 tacos.

1/2lb any white fish cut in about 2"x2" rectangles (you can make triangles or circles too if you want..or may be hexagon if you are really in the mood..if you do please share some pictures with me!)
1 large lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic
1 medium onion
2 medium roma tomatoes
1 medium corn 
Cumin powder
1-2 jalapenos
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
1 avocado
10-12 leaves of cilantro
4 small tortillas
Salt and Cayenne pepper

Sauce:
Brown some garlic in olive oil. Follow up with chopped onions and cook until they are translucent. Put chopped tomatoes, some corn and one whole chipotle pepper. After all this is cooked and tomatoes are mushy, coarse grind in the food processor and your sauce is ready. Feel free to put some sour cream in there.

Fish:
Marinate the fish in a mixture of 3tbsp olive oil, half lemon juice, salt, 2 tsp cumin powder,1tsp cayenne pepper. After 15 minutes either grill the fish or bake in the oven for 15 minutes at 350F. Grilling works much better if you ask me.
Taco:
Warm the tortilla on a flat pan or put it on the grill. Lay fish, lemon juice, sauce, a slice of avocado and top with cilantro. Fold it and let your taste buds feel the explosion of flavors (literally)!!

Again...say with me....I LOVE TACOS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment