Thursday, January 24, 2013

Spanish Inspired Rice

I love cooking and packing my lunch everyday (except Fridays). After a stressful half day of work I love to look forward to an exciting box of lunch! Me and husband work at the same company, so everyday is a lunch date (awww!).

Last night was one of those nights when I was TIRED (trust me!) but the cook in me wanted to make something for my lunch date. So I started brainstorming and when I brainstorm in the kitchen, all the kitchen cabinets and the fridge gets opened numerous times! So, finally I saw saffron and Spanish cuisine came to my mind. Not that Indian food doesn't use saffron but I have always been been fascinated by Spanish food (and Rafael Nadal too;)) I have yet to try my hand at Paella. It just sounds so fancy!

Let me talk a little bit about saffron.

This most expensive spice in the world does not have a very overpowering flavor but it makes its presence known. That's what I like about it. It is so versatile. Be it sweet or savory, saffron beautifies every dish. Will I ever be able to do this or see a saffron farm? I can only imagine the aromas in the air there! If you are also a saffron fan like me, you might like this: http://kalyan-city.blogspot.com/2010/09/kashmiri-kesar-saffron-world-costliest.html Even though it might look a little not so clean but wonder how that lady in the 8th picture's hands smell like ;) Hope her man likes the saffron smell ;)

I won't preach more about saffron now. Next thing I found is red pepper. So, I decided to prepare a Saffron and Red Pepper fried rice.

Here's how it's made.

1 red pepper (chopped)
1 medium onion (chopped)
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
1/2 cup rice (cooked)
3-4 strands of saffron (soaked in warm water for 10 minutes or so)
Almonds (sliced and roasted)
Salt
Crushed black pepper
1 tbsp EVOO (inspired by Miss Rachel Ray; extra virgin olive oil)


Brown garlic in olive oil followed by onion.



After the onion looks transparent, add red pepper. Once al dante cooked, add the rice followed by salt and pepper. Now gently (you need to show some saffron love) pour saffron with the water it was soaked in, in the rice. Now fry everything until some rice turns brown. Garnish this aromatic dish with roasted almonds and ENJOY!






1 comment:

  1. I need to try cooking with saffron someday. I'm always too cheap too buy it--isn't that terrible?! :) This rice sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete